Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hardtop

I collected the hardtop today which I won on eBay last night for the princely sum of £5.50 :)






I know it looks pretty bad and I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew here.
So the first thing to do is remove all the glass and quaterlights along with the headlining and rubbers.
I will be keeping the headling to use a template at a later date.
One everything was removed I was then able to attack it with the angle grinder (combo of flap disc and wire wheel). As you can see it is much worse condition then it appeared at the start. (still for a fiver not bad lol)



You can clearly see the passenger quarterlight area is pretty well shot, this needs some serious work.



And the drivers side is just as bad, I got some learning to do here ha ha, bearing in mind that I have never really welded and certainly never welded anything that would be visible.
I am going to need to bend and shape metal to about 70% of each side area here and weld it in. I was contemplating drilling out the spot welds and fabrication complete sections, but since this is never going to be structural and used for only 5 months of the year I have decided that I will cut out and tidy up and but weld in new metal.
I am going to need a little help with how some areas need to look however as I simply don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment